Level 1 (Arabic) -An online training course teaching Open source CFD toolbox (OpenFOAM)
Time Per Session
Online ( Zoom )
Computational modelling is already central to modern engineering and industry with the demand for skilled professionals steadily rising with time. Unfortunately, the software suitable for these roles often costs a lot for a license and/or is prohibitively complicated to learn and put into practice. Being opensource and used in many active companies today, OpenFOAM is an excellent way to learn these methods and greatly enhance your ability to solve engineering problems. While structured in a way that makes it highly flexible and ideal for making your own projects, learning OpenFOAM without help can be a daunting prospect.
The purpose of this Training is to give a simple and straightforward introduction to OpenFOAM covering common bugs and mistakes so that you can easily pass through the steep initial learning curve at your own pace. While the lessons learned here can be applied to any OpenFOAM solver (of which there is a substantial range), the focus is on fluid mechanics since the implementation is typically much simpler than more popular applications (high speed flow, etc.).
1. Basic understanding of Fluid Dynamics. Preferable to be in 3rd-year Mechanical engineering onwards.
2. Basic geometry and engineering skills.
3. An understanding of what differential equations is highly beneficial.
4. Experience and/or Knowledge Linux Command Line - Not required but a Bonus a. Ref: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/command-line-for-beginners#1-overview
5. Experience and/or Knowledge with C++ programming language - Not required but a Bonus a. Ref: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
In this course You'll learn
1. Understand the basic requirements of OpenFOAM computational modelling.
2. Create meshes and set up boundaries/initial conditions compatible with OpenFOAM
3. Be able to take any tutorial file in OpenFOAM, set the case up for yourself and use geometries and boundaries of your choosing. Though we can't cover the majority of solvers, you should be in a position to explore particular solvers for yourself and learn on your own.
1. Why OpenFOAM?
a. The OpenFOAM software distribution
b. Intro to OpenFOAM environment and Linux Command Line
c. Background in the use of Linux/UNIX
d. Setting up and installing OpenFOAM on different platforms
e. Intro to Shell Command Line
f. OpenFOAM Case Architecture/Structure and Run Folders
2. Intro to OpenFOAM pipeline
a. basic workflow in OpenFOAM
b. First Look at OpenFOAM tutorials
c. OpenFOAM applications
d. The .Allrun Bash Script
e. Touching on Preprocessing and mesh generation
f. Running the Solver - intro to available solvers
g. Touching on postprocessing (Paraview)
3. Practicing Meshing using open source tools
a. The Fundamentals of blockMesh
b. The Fundamentals of SnappyHexMesh – Single region
4. Hints about OpenFOAM Dicts
a. Inspection of controlDict
b. fvSchemes and fvSolution
c. Field initialization and boundary conditions
d. Selecting models and setting parameters
e. Solution monitoring and control
f. Running in parallel
5. Running your First case
a. Incompressible solvers - using icoFoam :
i. First Look
ii. Case Setup and Solver Setup
iii. Simulation results
6. Level One conclusion